Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dust in the Wind

A sailor’s study of respect.

BY JAKE ANTLES

I don’t claim to be a gifted writer, and I do not normally thrust myself into the spotlight as I tend to sweat and shake. However, in the face of that, I have something to say. Something which I believe shouldn’t have to be said; and that is, always, always be respectful.

There is a certain degree of respect a sailor develops. You need a respect for hard work and time, and a respect for those who give their time and sweat when we cannot. You grow to respect boats, sails, and those things we must share. You give respect for others opinions when they have the ‘right-of-way’, be it on the water or off. We show respect for other’s mistakes, recognizing we all make them at some time or another. And we possess a respect for other’s feelings and the damage we could inflict with simple words. This culminates to a respect for yourself, and your value in this world.

These qualities are not innate. I believe that as sail-lovers our perception of the word respect, and what it entails, stems from our respect for the elements. We have all battled the wind at some point, shouting “THOU SHALL NOT PASS!!” or “I will conquer you!” Maybe that's just me.

All I know is that when I’m on the water, plowing through waves, straining my abs keeping my boat flat, jumping up into a plane in a 20 knot gust, then ultimately capsizing in a daring jibe… The entire world just makes sense.

Gasping for breath perched on the edge of my capsized boat; I realize there is absolutely no point to ever be mean-spirited. It is worthless to be impatient, and it is counterproductive to make others unhappy as that would surely make me unhappy.

I’m not sure about you, but I get particularly philosophical on the water. In my opinion, the wind stirs something similar inside all of us. We sailors know the wind more intimately than the normal person.  We realize we shouldn’t work against the wind and the waves, but instead work with that mighty force, giving us respect for those other mighty forces around us.

These thoughts are all in response to recent events that disappointed me greatly. I wish everyone in the world enjoyed the epiphany I have had. I wish everyone would learn to respect the wind, our limited time amongst said wind, and realize that respect for each other is much more important than those things that upset us; that those things are mere dust in the wind.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, Jake. I love sailing because it clears my mind from other thoughts. The more intense the sailing is, the more I can disconnect from the stress of life ashore. I obviously need to sail more, because I get worked up about the stupidest things.

    ReplyDelete